If you own an ex-military vehicle then it might seem like it’d be a big headache to get insurance. Whilst there are more considerations for insuring an ex-military vehicle, luckily there are specialist military vehicle insurance providers who are used to insuring all types of ex-military vehicles.
When insuring an ex-military vehicle, it’s incredibly important to get a policy that’s tailored to your needs. Depending on the type of vehicle you own, you might not need cover for accidents, especially if the vehicle is not road worthy or it’s being kept as a collector’s item. A good military insurance provider will take your personal circumstances into account and offer a policy that’s perfectly suited to your needs.
Types of Cover for Military Vehicles
- Multi Vehicle Policies – Many people who collect ex-military vehicles, will have more than one vehicle they want to insure. All good military vehicle insurance providers will offer multi-vehicle policies. The great thing about these types of policies is that they usually work out much cheaper than insuring the vehicles separately and make it much easier to keep track of your insurance details.
- Agreed Valuation – The valuation of ex-military vehicles can be area of some dispute. For this reason it’s always a good idea to agree upon a valuation for your vehicle with the insurance provider. This way if your vehicle is stolen or destroyed, you’ll be compensated with an amount you’re happy with.
- Off Road Cover – A lot of ex-military vehicle owners do not use their vehicles, rather keeping them for show or maintenance. In this case they can still be at risk from theft, vandalism and fire. Off road cover will provide protection for all these risks.
- Events & Shows – There are many military rallies where owners of ex-military vehicles like to meet with other collectors and show off their own vehicle. It’s always important to know that your covered when attending these types of events since theft and damage are always a possibility.
- European Cover – If you plan to take your vehicle overseas then you’ll need to get European cover to ensure you’re properly protected.
Types of Military Vehicles
Some of the types of military vehicles you can get cover for include –
- Military Cars
- Field Ambulances
- Armoured Personnel Vehicles
- Russian Tanks
There are some very reliable ways of saving money on military vehicle insurance. These include –
- Make Your Vehicle Secure – You should always make sure that your vehicle is kept somewhere secure, either a locked garage or storage space. If you drive your vehicle then be sure to park it securely when not being used. Insurance providers will always consider the safety of your vehicle when coming up with a price.
- Consider a Limited Mileage Policy – If you only drive your ex-military vehicle in a limited way then a limited mileage policy could save you a lot of money.
- Increase Voluntary Excess – Increasing the amount of excess you pay is a somewhat risky way of saving money but if you’re confident you want need to make a claim then it’s definitely worth considering.
- Get a Lot of Quotes – You should always make sure you get as many quotes as possible. This will ensure you don’t pay over the odds.
Finding Quotes for Military Vehicle Insurance
When looking for good military vehicle insurance, it’s a good idea to look online for specialist providers. Most mainstream insurers will not offer military vehicle insurance and if they do it will usually not be at a competitive rate. Specialist providers will be able to offer you a policy that’s highly tailored and affordable.
If you are are looking to insure your military vehicle check out Bishop Calway who have access to numerous specialist schemes.